Rubbish & Recycling
Colchester Borough Council provides Rubbish Collection & Recycling Service for West Bergholt. These include:
- Weekly collections of rubbish,
- Fortnightly collections of recyclables,
- Provision of recycling bags & containers,
- Zone Warden teams,
- Street Cleaning,
- ‘Special’ collections, and
- Drop-off Service for household items not collected in regular collections.
Wide details of all of these are available online on the Colchester Borough Council website but some more local information is provided below as well.
Currently, street collections take place on a Friday in West Bergholt food caddies are collected every week and general waste (black bag) and different recyclables on alternate weeks. The alternate weeks are labelled blue & green weeks on their collection calendar. You can download the current collection calendar & information from the Colchester Recycling page.
On Blue weeks the following are collected:
- Food caddies,
- Black sacks (maximum of 3),
- Green Boxes with cans and glass separated.
On Green weeks the following are collected:
- Food caddies,
- Clear bags with paper, plastic & textiles in separate bags,
- Garden sacks (maximum of 4).
In order to maximise the effectiveness of recycling and waste disposal residents are asked to comply with the following guidelines, non-compliance may result in no collection:
What box or bag
No thank you
Provision of recycling bags and containers
St Mary’s Church now stocks a range of recycling items on behalf of CBC:
- Green boxes – free of charge,
- Food caddies – free of charge,
- Garden Waste Sacks – free on production of a voucher or code issued by CBC,
- Clear bags – free of charge.
Items can be collected from the Church Office on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday between 9am – 1pm. You are advised to check items are in stock before dropping in, call on 01206 243683 or email [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
Every Saturday there will be attended Freighter points around Colchester. As usual there are rules about what can’t and can be collected:
- no …
- fridges or freezers,
- electrical goods,
- items which can be recycled through kerbside collections,
- commercial refuse or hazardous waste such as asbestos, liquids, gas bottles,
- large loads please,
- please bring green garden waste separately to be composted,
- this service is provided for small loads and from domestic properties, so you can use this service to dispose of bulky items not normally collected with household waste.
Dates they will next be in West Bergholt are posted on the Village Calendar -search for ‘skip’ at this link.
If you become aware of fly-tipping, overflowing rubbish bins or graffiti, you can make an online request for Street Cleaning using the following link – https://goo.gl/zFn7nJ.
Recent Recycling News
- Zoom Quiz Calling - St Mary's Church are organising a Zoom Quiz to raise money to support Families 'Worker, Jo Jeffery's, work. Other news new walks coming. …
- Winter Bulletin & Some Christmassy News - Winter Bulletin Is Online First the Bulletin 'heads-up' and then: Christmas recycling & rubbish collection, the when, the what & the how of it, The Day 2 Advent Window, Free Parking for late-night shopping. Why Online? With the recent Lockdown,… …
- Day 88 of (now #3) Lockdown – the ‘Stories to tell?’ edition - Day 88 of (now #3) Lockdown Day 88 starts off with a call for your Lockdown Stories, it then covers: Tonnes of Recycling in Lockdown. Cleaner Air for Colchester? Birth Registration Services to Resume. I Wanna Tell You a Story.… …
- Day 77 of (where is) Lockdown – the Gardeners edition - Day 77 of (where is?) Lockdown On day 77 we start off with items of interest to gardeners and then quite a few more news items: National Garden Scheme reopens, Stay at Home, Grown your own scheme – get a… …
- Day 51 of Lockdown – the Monty Python edition - Day 51 and Monty Python Monty Python kicks us off on day 51. I'm afraid this video reminded me a little of some of the daily briefings we are getting. Today sees the first day of softening in England,… …
- Day 16 of Lockdown – “There’s a Lot Going On” Edition - Day 16 of Lockdown Day 16 of Lockdown and there's definitely a lot going on. We have updates from the ECC, CBC, Essex Police and more. Let's get started: CBC has issued an announcement making it clear that this weekend… …
- Day 15 of Lockdown – The Recycling News Edition - Day 15 of Lockdown Day 15 and after two weeks of lockdown it almost seems like the new normal! But, things keep changing. First, there was no recycling, then there was and, the good news, there will be again tomorrow… …
- Day 8 of Lockdown – The Recycling Again Edition - Day 8 of Lockdown Day 8, one whole week under our belt, and a lot has happened. Last week we heard about how recycling was going to be cut back, something the PC were not happy about. Well, the PC… …
- Day 4 of Lockdown – the Where’s Waldo Edition - Day 4 of Lockdown Day 4 and not as much new news although it is almost a daily ritual now to hear about recycling. Other snippets are: The Essex Welfare Service, Essex Resilience Forum, Bus services. Recycling (or not) A… …
- Day 2 of Lockdown – Recycling Edition - Day 2 of Lockdown So Day 2 of the COVID-19 lockdown and hopefully everybody is getting into the swing of things. It helps that the skies are blue especially if you are able to get outside for your daily exercise. … …