Churches and other Places of Worship
There are three church buildings within the village of West Bergholt. Only one, however, is still a functioning place of worship today, that being St Mary the Virgin Church of England Church. The Methodist community remain active in the village but the church itself is now no longer in use. The third church building, St Mary’s Old Church, is no longer in regular use for worship (although it remains consecrated), but is active in its own way. You can also view recent Church-related news on this page.
St Mary the Virgin
This is the Anglican (Church of England) church in the village and is in the Deanery of Colchester, itself being within the Diocese of Chelmsford. The church maintains a detailed website where you can find out much more about the church, its activities and history.
The Church is a group of people meeting regularly for worship, and to learn more about God and the kind of life he wants us to live. Members come from many different backgrounds, with different personalities, different circumstances, different approaches, in fact representing lots of different stages in their experience of God in their lives. That means that they offer a real warmth of welcome to anyone who wants to share their journey of discovery about the Christian faith and how to live it out as part of the village community.
St Mary’s holds regular services every Sunday according to the following pattern:
- 1st Sunday – 9.30 am Holy Communion;
- 2nd Sunday – 9.30 am Messy Church;
- 3rd Sunday – 9.30 am Holy Communion;
- 4th Sunday – 9.30 am Praise on 4 – All Age service;
- 5th Sunday – joint service with churches from Great Horkesley, Langham & Boxted (time and location vary – see website for details).
- The popular Open House Coffee Morning Thursdays 9 am – 11 am is good for a chat with coffee and cake after the school run (term times only).
- Every Thursday at 2.30pm there is also 5T’s for tea, cake and a chat in the afternoon (5Ts stands for Together on Thursdays for Tea at Two-Thirty!).
- St Mary’s also runs Wired, their Christian Youth Club each month, and a Senior Citizens Lunch each term.
The church can be found on the corner of New Church Road and Church Close. Postcode for SatNav is CO6 3JF.
If you are not sure where the St Mary’s Church is you can find it using google maps here.
The Methodist Church and Hall have been closed since the beginning of the pandemic lockdown. Furthermore, the site has been up for sale since we ceased to hold services in the Chapel. An offer has been accepted and negotiations are continuing to finalise the sale. After 139 years the congregation was no longer big enough to justify continuing with Sunday morning services and these ceased as preparations were made to sell the church, potential buyers will either need to use the building as-is or rebuild within the current footprint due to the graveyard.
There will no longer be services in the Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at “The Well” Methodist Church, Mile End at 10-30am. We hope to be able to offer transport again once regulations allow, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
To find out more about the church and its activities, contact Judith Fletcher by telephone 01206 241969 or e-mail [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
Enquiries about ‘The Link’ or requests for a copy should be directed to 01206 242511 or e-mail [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
St Mary’s Old Church
The old St Mary’s Church is no longer a functioning church, having been replaced by the new St Mary’s in 1904. The old church was eventually declared redundant in 1975 and is now in the care of a national charity, The Churches Conservation Trust.
Built over a thousand years ago nearly 40 generations of West Bergholt residents have seen, appreciated and used the earliest part of the church, the north doorway to this venerable building.
The charm of the church is that it escaped wholesale Victorian restoration, so keeps its 18th-century gallery, hat-pegs and plaster ceilings. It has no electricity, and you are advised to visit on a sunny day to best appreciate the wall painting of the Royal Arms of King James. The Trust is delighted that the church is open most weekdays and that it is still occasionally used for worship.
If you are not sure where St Mary’s Old Church is you can find it using google maps here. The nearest postcode for SatNav is CO6 3DT which will take you to the junction of Hall Road and Old Church Road, check the map link above for the last mile.
To read the whole article please click on the heading…
- St Mary’s News – the hopes for 2023 edition - This edition of St Mary’s News starts with hopes for 2023, and continues with other news including: Epiphany Party, Licensing of Rev Anne Mason, Saturday Morning Café, and the usual listings of services and contacts. Hopes for 2023 A New Year Reflection from Revd Heather… …
- Candlelit Service Returns to the Old Church - Return of the annual candlelit service at St Mary's Old Church For the first time since 2018, the Friends of St Mary's Old Church are holding a Candlelit Service in the Old Church. Following the success of their Mulled Wine… …
- St Mary’s News – the Christmas 2022 Edition - This edition of St Mary’s News starts with Christmas 2022, and continues with other news including: Revd Heather's Christmas Message, Saturday Morning Café, and the usual listings of services and contacts. Christmas 2022 We look forward to welcoming you to our Christmas services this year: Sun… …
- Old Church Invite to Mulled Wine & Mince Pies - Invitation To Enjoy Music, Mulled Wine & Mince Pies Next Sunday, 27th November, the Friends of St Mary's Old Church invite you to enjoy Mulled Wine & Mince Pies with them. This event will also afford you the opportunity to… …
- St Mary’s News – the Posada Edition - This edition of St Mary's News starts with the Advent Experience of Posada, and continues with other news including: Remembrance Services, Christmas Shoebox Appeal, Happy New Year (yes that's right),The START Course, andthe usual listings of services and contacts. The Advent Experience… …