There are three church buildings within the village of West Bergholt. Only one, however, is still a functioning place of worship today, that being St Mary the Virgin Church of England Church. The Methodist Church community & their hall, remain active in the village but the church itself is now no longer in use. The third church building, St Mary’s Old Church, is no longer in regular use for worship (although it remains consecrated), but is active in its own way. You can also view recent Church-related news on this page.
St Mary the Virgin
This is the Anglican (Church of England) church in the village and is in the Deanery of Colchester, itself being within the Diocese of Chelmsford. The church maintains a detailed website where you can find out much more about the church, its activities and history.
The Church is a group of people meeting regularly for worship, and to learn more about God and the kind of life he wants us to live. Members come from many different backgrounds, with different personalities, different circumstances, different approaches, in fact representing lots of different stages in their experience of God in their lives. That means that they offer a real warmth of welcome to anyone who wants to share their journey of discovery about the Christian faith and how to live it out as part of the village community.
St Mary’s holds regular services every Sunday according to the following pattern:
- 1st Sunday – 9.30am Holy Communion;
- 2nd Sunday – 9.30am Messy Church;
- 3rd Sunday – 11.15am Holy Communion;
- 4th Sunday – 9.30am Morning Worship;
- 5th Sunday – joint service with Methodists and churches from Great Horkesley, Langham & Boxted (time and location vary – see website for details).
On the 2nd Sunday, there is also a 6.30pm (4.30pm in winter) evening prayer service (Book of Common Prayer).
- The popular Open House Coffee Morning Thursdays 9 am – 11 am is good for a chat with coffee and cake after the school run (term times only).
- Every Thursday at 2.30pm there is also 5T’s for tea, cake and a chat in the afternoon (5Ts stands for Together on Thursdays for Tea at Two-Thirty!).
- St Mary’s also runs Wired, their Christian Youth Club each month, and a Senior Citizens Lunch each term.
The church can be found on the corner of New Church Road and Church Close. Postcode for SatNav is CO6 3JF.
If you are not sure where the St Mary’s Church is you can find it using google maps here.
There will no longer be services in the Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
However, a mid-week worship activity will take place on the first Wednesday of each month. This will take place at 11.00 in the Church Hall, Chapel Lane. These are led by our Minister, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
The Methodist Church Hall, with kitchen and parking facilities, remains available for hire. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
After 139 years the congregation was no longer big enough to justify continuing with Sunday morning services and these ceased as preparations were made to sell the church, potential buyers will either need to use the building as-is or rebuild within the current footprint due to the graveyard. The Parish Council are considering options, you can follow this in their regular meeting minutes.
To find out more about the church and its many activities, contact Judith Fletcher by telephone 01206 241969 or e-mail [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
Enquiries about ‘The Link’ or requests for a copy should be directed to 01206 242511 or e-mail [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
If you are not sure where the Methodist Church is you can find it using google maps here.
St Mary’s Old Church
The old St Mary’s Church is no longer a functioning church, having been replaced by the new St Mary’s in 1904. The old church was eventually declared redundant in 1975 and is now in the care of a national charity, The Churches Conservation Trust.
Built over a thousand years ago nearly 40 generations of West Bergholt residents have seen, appreciated and used the earliest part of the church, the north doorway to this venerable building.
The charm of the church is that it escaped wholesale Victorian restoration, so keeps its 18th-century gallery, hat-pegs and plaster ceilings. It has no electricity, and you are advised to visit on a sunny day to best appreciate the wall painting of the Royal Arms of King James. The Trust is delighted that the church is open most weekdays and that it is still occasionally used for worship.
If you are not sure where St Mary’s Old Church is you can find it using google maps here. The nearest postcode for SatNav is CO6 3DT which will take you to the junction of Hall Road and Old Church Road, check the map link above for the last mile.
To read the whole article please click on the heading…
- Zoom Quiz Calling - St Mary's Church are organising a Zoom Quiz to raise money to support Families 'Worker, Jo Jeffery's, work. Other news new walks coming. …
- St Mary’s New Year 2021 Update - St Mary's New Year 2021 Update This New Year update starts with a Farewell Message from Rev. Mandy and includes: An update on Paul Elmes, Administrative updates. … and the usual listings of services and contacts but first: Rev. Mandy's Farewell Message Dear Friends… …
- Here we go again – Stay at home & Advent News - Here we go again, Advent & Other News Colchester will join the rest of Essex in Tier 4 a minute after midnight Xmas Day. After that non-essential services & shops will be closed and we are asked to stay at… …
- Churches Old & New with Christmas News & More - Churches Old & New with Christmas News This news update starts with Christmas News from the Old Church, then: St Mary's monthly update, Call for volunteers to help with COVID vaccination programme, New walking routes linking to the village, Colchester… …
- The First Window Opens This Evening (& other news) - The First Window Opens This news round-up starts with the First Window opening this evening and then also covers: Kids Christmas Activities; Christmas Support Fund; Befriending; Tennis Courts; ASDA & FaNs Christmas Card Appeal, & Tier 2. How it Started… …