Premises & Recreation – 4th April 2016

Premises & Recreation – 4th April 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 4th April when, among other items, they discussed health & safety, licences, lighting, Poors Land, bollards, MUGA, Orpen Hall toilets, storage and BHYFC.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Sub-committee meeting held on Monday 4th April 2016 in the John Lampon Hall

Councillors present Brian Butcher (Chair), Murray Harlow (Vice chair), Jenny Church, Rosemary James, Harry Stone, Bob Tyrrell.
Apologies

Also in attendance Victoria Beckwith-Cole (Hall Administrator)

2.

Matters from Last Meeting

2.1

 

Orpen Hall Signage

BB enquired to why this matter was put on hold at the previous meeting in his absence.  Reasons being (1) the new storage/garage was proposed to go where the sign was being erected, (2) double sided sign would cost approx. £2,000 – looking at single sided and to be placed by cycle rack, this point will be revisited later on in the year.

2.1

Health and Safety Questionnaire

BB has now been provided with a copy of the Asbestos Report.

VBC is looking into a fire extinguisher handling session to be undertaken at the Hall, potentially to be extended to Parish Councillors, and heads of various groups. VBC

 

3.

Clerks & Administrator’s Report

3.1

 

Bar Licence –

LW to check with Social Club as a priority as to the current position.

LW

3.2

Lighting inside and out at Hall – update

This has been in  hand since the last meeting with our electrician Simon from EKB Contracts.  Parts have had to be ordered hence the delay.

3.3

Tables

More research/investigation into cost/storage/quantity will be sought by VBC for next meeting.

VBC

3.4

 

Draft T&C for one-off hirers

in progress will update at next meeting.

VBC

3.5

 

Bollards

in progress, will update at next meeting.

LW

3.6

 

Scouts – Asbestos Survey

in progress, will update at next meeting.

LW

4.

Provision of ‘MUGA Spectator’ benches

Following BB’s introduction, HS spoke on behalf of BYG who had come forward with an idea to place two wooden benches along the side of the ‘MUGA’ to enable spectators to watch either the tennis or the football.  BYG had offered to contribute to the cost with surplus money from their tuck shop on 21st April towards the benches. The PC may also ask the West Bergholt Football Club if they wish to contribute.  It was agreed that they would be wooden, with no backs, bolted into the ground.  It was agreed to get quotes from the handyman in the village.  Approx. size to be 8ft long x 1ft wide.  BYG would advise their suggested location and a plaque to be placed to record BYG’s contribution. VBC/HS

5.

Bergholt Heath Youth Football Club

T&C were amended and agreed.  David Bowden is compiling a list of Managers and VBC suggested that as there could be as many as 6 managers that they each have a unique code rather than a fob so that we can easily manage any misuse.  VBC waiting for list and will then arrange training of the alarm system.  There was mention that their Committee Members had changed – VBC to check. VBC

6.

Refurbishment of Orpen Hall Toilets

A meeting was being held with Steve McLean of Esposito McLean on 5th April with BT to discuss details.  It was suggested to enquire if STC, Ponders and Tamarisk Buildings would be interested in tending for the works and LW to deal with this, so that the works can be completed during the Summer Holiday. BT/BB/LW

7.

Storage Units

A discussion ensued about various options of extending the current garages to store equipment from the CBC garage which will no longer be rented by the Parish Council and the PC’s mower.  Prior to the meeting BB/VBC had a meeting with the Orpen Players, and informed them that the Parish Council will no longer be renting the CBC garage but that they will not get any more space, however they, will need to look at what they store at present and see if they can declutter – HS/BB and Roger will meet at the garages to discuss further.    Likewise a meeting with Bluebells – to see what their storage needs are.  This matter will be discussed further at the next meeting once the outcome from discussions with the Orpen Players and Bluebells have taken place. BB/HS

8.

AOB

1)    Servery – it was agreed that this room will need to be refurbished sooner rather than later. ALL
2)    Social Club – following the monthly litter pick JC brought to our attention the number of cigarette ends on the ground around the Social Club’s entrance – it was suggested that LW approach the Social Club to bring this to their attention and for them to clean up on a daily basis or put a bucket of sand outside. LW
Meeting closed at 8.34pm

9.

Date of next meeting

2nd May 2016 – 7.30pm John Lampon Hall

 

Premises & Recreation – 7th March 2016

Premises & Recreation – 7th March 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 7th March when, among other items, they discussed health & safety, bollards, licences, lighting, Poors Land, Orpen Hall toilets and Football Clubs.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Monday 7 March 2016 at 7.30pm in the John Lampon Hall

Councillors present Murray Harlow (Vice chair), Harry Stone and Bob Tyrrell.
Also in attendance Laura Walkingshaw (Parish Clerk)

 

1.

Apologies

Brian Butcher, Jenny Church and Rosemary James

2.

Matters from Last Meeting

2.1

 

Orpen Hall Signage

This item is on hold at the moment and will be removed as an agenda item. Will re-visit later in the year.

2.2

 

Health and Safety Questionnaire – Asbestos Report/Fire Extinguish Training

The Clerk has found documents relating to asbestos in switch room, Health & Safety Fire Risk Assessments, Site Specific Risk Assessments and also a Building Survey from 1999. The Clerk has now provided these documents to BB. Await to hear from BB if sufficient.

The Hall Administrator has spoken to Bluebells and they felt a fire extinguisher handling session would benefit them. Dependant on costs there is the possibility of extending that training to the Parish Council and the heads of the various groups. VB-C to find out about costs.

The need for a clear Assembly Point was noted and a reminder needed to the various users to clarify that & general housekeeping rules prior to each event. BB & VBC to liaise to discuss.

BB, VBC

3.

Clerks & Administrator’s Report

3.1

 

Scouts – Asbestos Survey

Clerk has contacted Scouts regarding a warning notice on the area of asbestos in the Scout Hut. The Scouts have a committee meeting the week beginning 7th March. Will await reply and report back to Premises sub-committee.

LW

3.2

 

Bollards

Clerk still waiting to obtain copies of two left-hand bollard keys from WBFC, will hopefully pick up on Sat 12th March. Handyman has moved bicycle rack to make it more difficult to drive over the ramp onto field. Committee need to discuss MUGA bollards.

Committee agreed that the small space accessed past the MUGA bollards is not an imminent problem.

LW

3.3

 

Draft T&C for one-off hirers

VBC to draft additional Terms and Conditions to one-off hirers to be signed on day of hire – to note their responsibility on the day. Item in progress.

VB-C

3.4

 

Bar Licence & Music Licence

Clerk spoke to PRS for Music, licences are no longer issued, the only proof is the invoice & statement of payment.

Bar Licence –  Clerk has been approached by the Orpen Players concerned that the Social Club will no longer be keeping the Premises Licence for the entire building. LW to check with Social Club.

LW

3.5

 

Lighting inside and out at Hall

Outside – flood lights fixed, waiting for starter motors on others.

Inside – Hall Administrator to check through internal lighting to ensure all bulbs working and all grills re-applied.

VB-C

3.6

 

Car Parking

An email had been received from Andy Tomkins of the Pentecostal Church regarding parking on Sundays at the Hall. The Church has had difficulties finding free parking spaces of late, due to the number of Sunday matches played by WBFC. They requested that an area of the car park be cordoned off to allow five spaces to be reserved for them and ensure their children’s safety.

VB-C obtained a fixture list from WBFC, there are 11 matches a year played on Sundays from Sept – May, 3 matches left this season. It was noted that no part of the car park is cordoned off on Saturdays, when the Football Club also play and often coincides with parties occurring at 2 pm.

It was agreed by the committee that the Orpen Hall Car Park is a public car park and that the Hall does not have the staff available to approve this request. VB-C to reply to Andy Tomkins.

VB-C

3.7

 

Tables

The Hall Administrator has found lately that both Halls are frequently booked at the same time and has suggested that each Hall should have their own set of tables. The committee were happy for her to obtain some quotes regarding this matter and then report back to them.

VB-C

4.

Poor’s Land – Countrywide

This item was already agreed at the Parish Council meeting on 24th Feb and therefore did not need to be discussed.

5.

Bergholt Heath Youth Football Club

The committee agreed the wording on the draft T&C to BHYFC regarding the use of the Orpen Hall disabled toilet. However, following the response from BHYFC it is clear that the day needs to change to Sunday and the times from 9.30am-4.00pm. VB-C to make changes and go ahead with proposed T&C, which will be presented at the next Parish Council meeting. VB-C

Agenda Item

The committee discussed the viability of a lockable toilet being built on the Poors Land and the possibility of the PTA funding this. HS to liaise with the Headteacher, Mr Hallam when he next meets with him. HS

6.

Refurbishment of Orpen Hall Toilets

Esposito McLean have been appointed as designers for the Orpen Hall toilet refurbishment. BT & VB-C await to hear from him regarding timescale and access to the building for measuring up.

7.

Storage Units

The Environment sub-committee will be discussing this item on Thursday 10th March, it will then be brought back to this committee next month.

8.

AOB

No other items were raised. Meeting closed at 8.15pm

 

Date of next meeting – 4th April 2016 – 7.30pm John Lampon Hall

 

 

Influence & Inform – Village Meeting 23rd March 2016

West Bergholt PC's Annual Report 2014

West Bergholt village signThe Annual Parish Meeting on 23rd March 2016 is for all local residents to hear what is happening and, by raising issues and asking questions, to put their mark on the village’s future.

Formal Agenda for Annual Village Meeting on 23rd March 2016

Dear Resident,

You are invited to attend West Bergholt’s Annual Village Meeting, which will be held in the Orpen Hall (main hall) at 7.30pm on Wednesday 23rd March 2016.

Chris Stephenson
Chair – West Bergholt Parish Council

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and Introduction from the Chairman — Chris Stevenson.
  2. Heathlands School Council.
  3. Parish Safety Volunteers – Essex County Fire & Rescue Service.
  4. Presentation.
  5. Issues from the Floor.

 What You Say Matters – Make your point and ask questions.

Refreshments will be available.

Environment & Highways – 13th November 2014

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 13th November to consider a range of issues and decisions affecting the general environment and highways within West Bergholt.  Updates on hedge cutting, handymen, weeds, village ponds, Traffic safety, pot-holes, dog bins, beacon, budget & McNally Mews.  The formal report to the Parish Council is as follows:

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 13th November 2014 in John Lampon Hall

Councillors present  Harry Stone, Murray Harlow, Jenny Church, Phil Walby, Rosemary James
Apologies Rachel Howard

Andrew Savage attended part of meeting

1 Hedge cutting
The hedge cutting and bramble mowing has been carried out and has been very well done. The CBC sweeper followed on and cleared the trimmings. Verges still need attention particularly along New Church Road. HS
2 Village handyman
The use of a chit book appears to be working. Unfortunately, Ivor has been called for jury service so some jobs are waiting attention at the moment. PW
3 Overgrowth of weeds on footways
There has been an incident in New Church Road when a resident slipped on wet vegetation on the footway and broke an arm. Need to ensure village handyman or CBC Rangers keep footways as clear as possible at this time of year when it is wet and there are fallen leaves etc.
4 Village Ponds
The Queens Road pond has been cleared today. Arrange for Norhurst to clear away the cuttings.The Lexden Road pond will be cleared on November 23rd and the Hall Road pond will have to be left until the new year. JC
5. Traffic Safety Plan
The plan is apparently going ahead after it has been signed off for progress. HS
6 Pot Holes
Increase in road markings but no work carried out as yet.
7 Dog bin
A bin is required for the Brewery site – check with Val if this has been ordered. Val
8. Beacon
The beacon has not been put back in place – to check with Chris about this. JC
A plaque needs to be ordered to go on the beacon – Murray to organise this. MH
Agenda item
9 Areas of work in village
Plan to produce a map showing sites of our responsibility in the village. HS
10 Budget for next year.
Andrew discussed preparation of budget for next year. He will forward a copy of agreed budget to sub committee AS
11 McNally Mews
Thanks to Chris for researching the issue raised by Ashley Yates. The request for tree and hedge planting in the area appears to be in accordance with the covenant and there seems to be no objection to be made to this request. Agenda Item
13 AOB
Rosemary requested information about a drainage problem caused by tree roots for a resident recently coming to the village. She will contact CBC for advice and information. RJ
Date of next meeting to be notified

Premises & Recreation – 13th November 2014

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 13th November to consider a range of issues and decisions affecting the Premises and Recreational facilities under their jurisdiction.  Updates on Play equipment, Practice Goal, Orpen Hall & Annual Fireworks display.  The formal report to the Parish Council is as follows:

Premises & Recreation Report

Sub-committee meeting held on Thursday 13th November 2014 at the John Lampon Hall

Councillors present Phil Walby, Jenny Church, Murray Harlow, Rosemary James, Andrew Savage
Apologies  Rachel Howard

Victoria Beckwith Cole in attendance.

1. Budget for next year
Andrew in attendance to discuss preparation for next year’s budget for Orpen Hall. He will forward the agreed budget to sub-committee. AS
2 Orpen Hall
a.   Letting for New Year’s Eve agreed. Vicky is able to unlock and lock up after the event. Hirer is responsible person, it is a charitable function. Agreed to levy increased deposit of £200 to cover risk of damage. VBC
b.   Cleaning problem appears to be resolved. Mike has now taken on a new cleaner. To be monitored for the next month to assess improvement or need to still have a meeting with Mike.  PW
c.   The problem with the locking chairs has been caused by the wrong clips being supplied. The company will attend and rectify the problem. VBC
d.   “Snagging” problems following decoration of halls have been satisfactorily rectified by decorators.
e.   PAT testing has been completed.
3 Practice goal area on field
Ivor has prepared the goal area and laid foundation work. The artificial turf will be laid when Ivor returns from Jury service. PW
4 Film night
To be put on hold until the New Year. Discussions to be arranged with Bernard. PW
5 Play Equipment
Inspection report has been read.  Await talking to Ivor about what is required to make fully safe all equipment. The areas of concern are all low risk. The area is underused at this present time because of the weather. PW
6 Heathlands Firework display
The event went very smoothly, good liaison with PTA. Posts at entrance were removed to avoid damage on entry. Reinstated on Monday following display and are now secure. All rubbish was picked up and skip removed. Minimal damage to grass, replaced with new turf.
Date of next meeting to be notified.