Premises & Recreation – 10th October 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 10th October when, among other items, they welcomed a new councillor, discussed health & safety, terms of hire, asbestos surveys, social club, Bergholt Heath YFC, Orpen Hall toilets and storage.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Sub-committee meeting held on Monday 10th October 2016 in the John Lampon Hall Continue reading “Premises & Recreation – 10th October 2016”

Environment & Highways – 13th October 2016

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 13th October welcomed a new member and discussed a range of issues including overgrown hedges, brambles etc… 20mph signs, football club storage, benches, handymen & ponds.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 13th October 2016 in JL Hall

Sub-committee members present John Gili Ross, Jenny Church, Murray Harlow, Harry Stone, Philip Spencer, Janet Crichton.
Apologies  David Short

Janet Crichton was welcomed as a new councillor on this sub-committee

1

Clerks Report

(see attached)
a)   Hedge at Colchester road/Chapel. This is a low priority according to Essex Highways. This hedge will need trimming but should not be flailed. A letter should be sent to the owners in Garthwood Close. JGR & LW
b)   Parking on greensward – this should be passed to Traffic Safety Group. LW
c)    VAS sign in Lexden Road – this needs to be followed up by ECC.
d)   Bollards to Poors Field need checking – Harry will do this. HS
e)   Overhanging vegetation on pathway at 72 Chapel Road. This has been tied back by the owners and is now dying of at the end of the season.
f)     Problem by 30 Chapel Road obscuring light to neighbouring property – clerk has written to householder and there is nothing more the PC can do at the moment.
g)    Overgrown brambles on corner of Albany Road by no.60. This has been noted by CBC. This item now concluded.
h)   Footway along Bures Road from Hall Road to White Hart area. Problem noted by CBC. Our Handy man has trimmed back overgrown vegetation and footway is somewhat clearer now. ECC will need to monitor to assess state of pavement.
i)     Tree enquiry from Erle Havard – roots of tree are causing damage to property. Inspection due by CBC who will report on results.
j)    Broken manhole cover at end of Hall Road where it joins Bures Road. A safety barrier is in place. Need to monitor situation. PS
k)    Request from resident for an extra dog bin in Chapel Lane area. Need to assess if this is necessary.
l)     At junction of New Church Road and Lexden road – the named road sign (NCR) is collapsing – refer to ECC rangers. LW
m)  The 20mph signs in New Church Road and School Road and leaning over and need re-setting. Refer to Essex Rangers. LW

2

Environment budget for next year

Invite Andrew to our next meeting. JC

3

Storage Facilities

The planning application for a container behind the football clubhouse has been called in by Cllr Dennis Willetts so this will take more time now.

4

Benches for Lorkin Daniell Field

Murray agreed to investigate prices and where to purchase MH

5

 Handymen work

Dave and Matt continue with their good work according to schedule.
The hedging by Lexden Road pond has been trimmed – Matt will cut the remnants up to allow to rot down in the winter.
David will be checking all the seats around the village and repairing where necessary. The WI bench at the old Church has been repaired.
Door in JL Hall and door to Orpen Hall needs attention.
Bluebell’s notice board needs moving to lobby area in half term.
Hole in Storage unit needs filling. HS
Harry will monitor the handyman schedules whilst John is away.

6

Village Ponds

All 3 ponds have been assessed by Nicola Downs of TCV. Proposed to cut back vegetation in the ponds by a third. She will send us a quote.
Hall road pond is very overgrown with irises and other plants. Suggest to ask Paul Downer his advice. JC
Date of next meeting – Thursday 10th November 2016 at 5pm in JL Hall

 

Premises & Recreation – 5th September 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 5th September when, among other items, they discussed health & safety, terms of hire, asbestos surveys, social club, Bergholt Heath YFC, Orpen Hall toilets and storage.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Sub-committee meeting held on Monday 5th September 2016 in the John Lampon Hall

Continue reading “Premises & Recreation – 5th September 2016”

Environment & Highways – 8th September 2016

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 8th September and discussed a range of issues including football club storage, benches & seats, handymen, play equipment, ponds and flood risk on New Church Road.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 8th September 2016 in JL Hall

Continue reading “Environment & Highways – 8th September 2016”

Planning & Development Committee – 20th July 2016

Planning & Development Committee – 20th July 2016

Taking place on 20th July, this planning & development committee meeting, which is open to the public, will consider four planning applications affecting Bourne Road, Colchester Road (2), and Chapel Lane.  It will also consider 2 consultations, Essex Development Management and Colchester Local Plan.

Formal Notice of Meeting

Meeting of the Planning & Development Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council in the John Lampon Hall at 7.30pm on Wednesday 20th July 2016.

The public and press are welcome to attend. Continue reading “Planning & Development Committee – 20th July 2016”

Premises & Recreation – 6th June 2016

Premises & Recreation – 6th June 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 6th June when, among other items, they discussed health & safety, licences, Social Club, MUGA, Orpen Hall toilets, storage and BHYFC.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Sub-committee meeting held on Monday 6th June 2016 in the John Lampon Hall

Councillors present Brian Butcher (Chair), Murray Harlow (Vice chair), Jenny Church, Bob Tyrrell.
Apologies Harry Stone (BB accepted)

Also in attendance Victoria Beckwith-Cole (Hall Administrator)

Before Agenda items commenced the Election of Chairman and Vice-Chairman were agreed as follows:-

Chairman – Brian Butcher – Proposed Murray Harlow – Seconded by Jenny Church

Vice – Chairman – Murray Harlow – Proposed Brian Butcher – Seconded by Bob Tyrrell

Terms of Reference – this has not been resolved and as Chairman BB will resolve the outstanding issues primarily between the Environment and Premises.  BB will speak with JGR and for this to be updated for the next meeting.

2.

Matters from Last Meeting

2.1

Health and Safety Questionnaire

VBC is waiting to hear back from two companies that offer hands on training with fire extinguishers.  This is at a price but JC suggested that VBC contact the fire station to see if they will come out and do the training.

VBC

3.

Clerks & Administrator’s Report

3.1

Bar Licence

BB was advised from the Orpen Players that they had no concerns about cover for their recent production but this would need to be addressed in the Autumn.

BB

3.2

Table and Chairs

VBC expressed concern following updating the asset register that the Hall was down by five long tables.  VBC has contacted those organisations who have borrowed and any further borrowing will be need to be signed for and all tables will be numbered and put on said form.  Notification of the loss of these tables to be placed on the West Bergholt website in the hope of their return under amnesty.  BB advised of new seating layout – twelve rows of ten chairs (120 compared to 108 before).  The chairs would need to be clipped in 5’s.  BB will give this to LW to submit to CBC to be approved and Licence amended as necessary.  Eight of the Orpen Hall chairs have buckled with people standing on them and also the weight as they only withstand up to 18 stone.  These will not be replaced.

BB/LW/VBC

3.3

Draft T&C for one-off Hirers

VBC to add weight limit –see 3.2

VBC

3.4

Bollards

VBC to get in touch with JGR to obtain set of keys for office.

VBC/

JGR

3.5

Scouts – Asbestos Survey

LW will update for next meeting.

LW

3.6

Social Club- cigarette ends

The PC has agreed for new bark chippings and plants but before this can be done – litter picking especially around the Social Club needs to be done first.  JC confirmed that on 11th June the Village “Litter Warrior” will be happening and that the Volunteers are content whilst clearing the cigarette ends at the same time to clear the weeds.  To emphasise this more LW to write to Social Club that it is the responsibility of their customers to put the cigarette ends in the correct place and disappointed that this continues to be a problem.  LW to consider providing a bucket and sand in the interim until the Social Club can provide a suitable replacement.

LW

4.

Bergholt Heath Youth Football Club

  No objection for 5 – 6 years olds to play football on Saturday mornings 9.30 -10.30 on the Lorkin Daniels Field.  At the current time Mick and Terry from the WBFC are away and awaiting their return for the Agreement to be signed.  The T&C that were raised for the BHYFC re the use of the disabled toilet to be amended to include Saturday mornings – VBC will update and reissue.  VBC mentioned the annual invoice for using the Poors Field – it was agreed to increase it from £250 to £275.  It was agreed for the hire of the Lorkin Daniels field  by BHYFC on a Saturday not to be invoiced until the end of the year. VBC

5.

Refurbishment of Orpen Hall Toilets

  Tenders to be opened at the Finance meeting and then discussed at the Parish Council meeting.  

6.

Storage Units

  The ongoing issue about the future of storage has now moved to the Environment Committee to resolve the best way forward.  Roger (Orpen Players) and Harry (BYG) will meet mid-July to get the garage organised and make the best of the space.  Once the Flower Club cupboard has been removed demarcation of the areas will be marked on the floor and MH will report back at the next meeting on cost of shelving part of the garage.  BB said that when the toilet refurbishment is underway BB will ask the contractors to block up the wall between the two garages as the Flower Club cupboard would leave an opening.  BB will inform the Finance Committee of this future expenditure. MH/BB

 

 

7.

MUGA

  BB will attend the September meeting and report back. BB

8.

AOB

  a)   It was noted that the football goal area requires attention and for the Environment Committee to take this up. EC
  b)   It appears that more owners are taking their dogs onto the Lorkin Daniels Field – a discussion ensued about signage that additional signs are required and what is the best way forward – this is to be brought to the Parish Council meeting to discuss further so that ALL signs will be regimental. PC
  c)    Children seem to be kicking footballs against the JL Hall – as the above – more signage is required and once a design has been ascertained for signage to be erected, BT to consider signage. BT
  d)   Bluebells requested if some hardstanding could be placed where they keep their outside metal fencing – this has been given to the Environment Committee to consider and report back to Bluebells. EC
  e)   It was brought to VBC’s attention that a few jobs require attention in the Hall- (a) rubber around a window in the JL Hall requires fixing – VBC to get Handyman to fix (b) the lights in the JL Hall require diffusers – VBC to contact electrician to quote on moving existing and replacing the lights. VBC
  Meeting closed at 8.50pm  

9.

Date of next meeting

  4 July 2016 – 7.30pm John Lampon Hall  
  Murray Harlow to Chair in Brian’s absence

(Brian has offered his aplogies)

 

 

Premises & Recreation – 2nd May 2016

Premises & Recreation – 2nd May 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 2nd May when, among other items, they discussed asbestos, licences, Poors Land, bollards, MUGA, Orpen Hall toilets, storage and BHYFC.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Sub-committee meeting held on Monday 2nd May 2016 in the John Lampon Hall

Councillors present Brian Butcher (Chair), Murray Harlow (Vice chair), Jenny Church, Harry Stone, Bob Tyrrell.
Apologies

Also in attendance Victoria Beckwith-Cole (Hall Administrator)

2.

Matters from Last Meeting

2.1

 

Health and Safety Questionnaire

VBC sourcing suitable course and will report back at the next meeting.

VBC

3.

Clerks & Administrator’s Report

3.1

Bar Licence

LW has been in contact with CBC Premises Licence,  £70 is due 1st September 2016.  LW had given a copy of the Licence to BB. BB to check with Orpen Players what involvement Bernard (Social Club) has when it comes to them selling alcohol at their productions.

BB

3.2

Hall Administrator Holiday Cover

Prior to the meeting it was discussed and agreed that Zoe, the cleaner, had agreed to cover the Hall Administrator’s holiday.

3.3

Tables

More research/investigation into cost/storage/quantity will be sought by VBC for next meeting.  BB will inform the Finance Committee of potential forthcoming expenditure once further costings were known.

VBC/BB

3.4

Draft T&C for one-off hirers

in progress will update at next meeting.

VBC

3.5

Bollards

VBC now have copies of keys for both bollards.  The yellow bollard key is yet to be out in the key box.  VBC to contact JG-R to arrange receipt of the key.

VBC/

JG-R

3.6

Scouts – Asbestos Survey

LW will chase the Scouts again.

LW

4.

Provision of ‘MUGA Spectator’ benches

Following on from last month’s meeting with BYG offer to contribute towards the benches it was agreed this would not be necessary/forthcoming.  VBC is waiting on quotes before work is instructed and benches be put in positon.  PC to agree location. POST MEETING NOTE the matter of benches will be taken forward by the Environment committee.

BB brought up the MUGA and its usage and that we should be maximising the use of it.  BB would like to know what the planning conditions for use are, if any it is thought use is at the discretion of the PC.   HS mentioned that VBC and he are on the West Bergholt Sports Facility – Advisory Group – who happen to have a meeting on 5th April and invited BB to attend, which unfortunately, he could not.  VBC confirmed that as Chairman the Minutes will be copied to BB.  To be discussed further at next month’s meeting.

5.

Bergholt Heath Youth Football Club

BB and MH met with Mick and Terry of the West Bergholt Football Club before this meeting and BB confirmed there was an understanding on – way forward which BB will progress.  VBC confirmed that BHYFC had not come back with a list of managers to enable them to use the Orpen Hall toilets. BB

6.

Refurbishment of Orpen Hall Toilets

Final drawings had been approved.  LW had chased three potential companies to see if they wanted to tender.  BB said the time for works to be done was from 16th July to 29th August 2016 – time is running out and may have to look at alternative companies to tender.   VBC to liaise with hirers nearer the time to notify them of the works and alternative toilets to use while works are in progress. The refurbish will not be able to be phased. BB/LW/VBC

7.

Storage Units

a)   Orpen Players – Roger is on holiday when proposed meeting was intended and BB now has his telephone number and will liaise with Roger and HS to arrange meeting up.

b)   Bluebell – In a separate meeting Bluebells showed interest that racking could be a way forward.  MH has a potential supplier and will liaise with Jackie Leach what is required and come back at the next meeting with a design and quotes.  The PC has not yet agreed to fund.

c)    Flower Club – it was agreed that their cabinet in the garage be moved to the meeting room upstairs.  This would then leave a gap between the two garages which will need to be bricked up when the WC’s are refurbished.

d)   Environment Equipment – BB made enquiries to seek which option would be allowed by CBC to construct a new storage unit to the front left-hand corner of the carpark – unfortunately, this was not forthcoming and prior to this meeting BB had spoken with CS and it was agreed architects would be needed to draw up plans and hence obtaining a quote for the work to eventually submit to planning, but not until a pre-app had been made.

BB/HS/MH

8.

AOB

1)    Queen Elizabeth Birthday Celebrations – An accident occurred when a member of the pubic tripped over the ramp at the back of the JL Hall. BB gave VBC a suggested template accident form to implement rather than what is currently being used.  Note to Environment Committee as a starting point to paint yellow lines along the edges until a potentially suitable solution can be agreed to be sent by BB. JGR/

VBC

2)   Poors Land – VBC made BB aware of a hirer wishing to use the Poors Land for a football birthday party.  “Re-seeding” is to take place in middle May and the football pitches will not be available for use.  VBC to go back to hirer and ascertain how much of the field is required and reiterate that the football pitches are out of use but any area outside this can be used. VBC
3)   In a prior meeting with the Orpen Players it was asked if the PC could look into revising the number of seats at their productions as the size of the chairs have changed.  BB has taken this on board and after this meeting will measure and discuss this whilst the Orpen Players are using the Hall.  BB has asked VBC to look into what the fire rating is on the existing chairs. BB
4)   West Bergholt Football Club – according to the Agreement every three years the rent is reviewed.  2016 is the year and it was agreed to increase the rent from £450 to £475 and VBC to issue invoice to them. VBC
5)   Storage – All other storage hirers to be increased by 5%. VBC
Meeting closed at 8.50pm

9.

Date of next meeting

6th June 2016 – 7.30pm John Lampon Hall