Day 1 of (Soft) Lockdown

Day 1 - Play Equipment ClosedDay 1 of (Soft) Lockdown

As you might imagine, as we sit here in our homes on Day 1 of a relatively soft lockdown, advice and news keep flowing.  This update summarises some of the most relevant:

  • Allotments remain open to plot-holders who can access them ‘for exercise purposes’ once a day.   Observe social distancing!
  • CBC has suspended Garden Waste collections, read more below.
  • Bonfire Warning, read below.
  • Parks closed and use of play equipment not permitted by Government Order.
  • Halls are also closed unless:
    • they are being used to host pre-schools being kept open for key workers, or
    • designated as emergency centres.
  • Charity Commission & Government advice on charity employees.
  • If you are an older person, living alone, and generally feeling the need for support then The Silverline is a useful resource.  The Silverline also offers advice on protecting yourself from COVID-19 and is open 24 x 7.
  • It has been agreed nationally that all VE Day celebration due to be held in May are to be postponed.  It is possible they will be held in August near VJ Day.
  • Concerts by Resonate Choir and Comrie Singers scheduled for Old Church in June are now highly unlikely to happen.

Continue reading “Day 1 of (Soft) Lockdown”

Environment & Highways – 12th November 2015

The Environment & Highways  Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 12th November 2015 and discussed a range of issues including traffic safety, handyman work, grass & hedge cutting, Poors Land, Allotments, Fireworks, Playground & budget.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 12th November 2015 in Main Hall

Councillors present John Gili Ross, Harry Stone, Jenny Church, Murray Harlow, Rosemary James
Apologies None

In attendance: –  Phil Spencer, David Short.

1

New drain on Heath

ECC has put in a new water feed leading from the school to entrance at New Church Road. There is concern that the infilled area might be affected by sinkage in the future. We need to be aware that ECC would be responsible if this occurs. Parish Clerk

2

Matters arising from last meeting

a)   Traffic Safety Plan – resurfacing of New Church Road and School Road completed and yellow lines reinstated. Notices for proposal for 20mph   in New Church Road and School Road are posted.  
b)  Plinth for beacon to be built by Ivor when he returns from holiday. JGR
c)  Copy of Environment Terms of Reference to this sub-committee members. JGR
d)  The agreed Handyman work schedule is working well. A contract for  David Hewitt has been drawn up and is with the Finances Committee.

It has been agreed that we need another part time Handyman. An Advertisement needs to be put out locally when details of job and pay are agreed.

Agenda Item

LW

e)  All grass and hedge cutting to Parish Council Land has been completed.

The area of scrub at the bottom end of the Lorkin Daniell field needs  learing back to tree line. Quotes needed for this.

MH
f)   Purchase of wheelie bin for use at practice goal area is with Marcus Harrington. JC
g)  Pond clearing by TCV is in progress. They have completed their work on Hall Road and Lexden Road ponds. Hall Road Pond still looks rather neglected and there is a fallen tree laying over from the back of the Pond. Norhurst to remove the waste. The work on Queens Road pond will be carried out by TCV on November 19th.  JC
h)  It was suggested that we review alternative approaches to treating the ponds as there are new technics being implemented and used on golf courses and farm land.  Phil Spencer has expertise in this area. All

3

Poors Land

Finger posts on Poors Land have been repaired by Handyman.

4

Highway Rangers

Request to Highway Rangers to be sent regarding hedges overhanging footways. LW

5

Allotments

Harry reported from Allotment Committee. Decision taken to increase fees by £1 for all plot holders. Discussion will take place in the future regarding fees to full plot holders and concessions to consider ways to charge more fairly for the rents HS

6

Firework Display

The Fireworks were successful and the area of Poors Land has been tidied and cleared.

7

Chitts Hill

Hedges along this narrow road need attention. Suggest letters need to be sent to hedge owners reminding them of their responsibilities. LW

8

Playground equipment

Roundabout problems have been rectified as far as possible. Repairs are needed to post areas of climbing frame. Village handyman to purchase filler and carry out necessary work. Repairs to other areas have been completed.

Black surface requires attention. Playequip are fully booked at the moment, plan to make repairs in the New Year. Laura will remind them.

JGR,

LW

8

Budget for next year

Andrew attended the meeting for this item. He presented a proposed budget for next year. The figures need to be with the Finance committee in November. Much discussion took place.  It was agreed to review the proposed budget and circulate to members and AS.  AS to place the revised budget into the main budget format for approval by the PC in due course JGR
Date of next meeting – Thursday 14th January 2016 at 5pm in JL Hall.

Environment & Highways – 8th October 2015

The Environment & Highways  Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 8th October 2015 when they discussed a range of issues including handymen, traffic safety, beacon, playgrounds, grass & hedge cutting, litter, pond clearing, allotments & budget.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 8th October 2015 in Main Hall

Councillors present John Gili Ross, Harry Stone, Jenny Church, Murray Harlow
Apologies  Rosemary James

In attendance:- Phil Cook, Phil Spencer, David Short.

1

Welcome

John welcomed all to the meeting.

2

Matters arising from last meeting

a)   Traffic Safety Plan – awaiting resurfacing of New Church Road and Chapel Road prior to yellow lines being reinstated. 20mph signs will be needed in New Church Road and School Road. Harry and Chris Stevenson met with Jeremy Hallam, school head teacher, to discuss parking problems by parents and other ways in which the school could assist in road safety for the school children. HS
b)   Plaque for beacon – this is now in situ.  Plinth for beacon to be built by Ivor. JGR
c)    St Mary’s Church – work on French drain has been completed by Ivor.

3

Terms of reference

The Environment sub-committee is mainly responsible for maintenance activities in the village. A new list of terms of reference was proposed and agreed by this committee. This to go to the Finance and General Purposes Committee to be ratified. LW
Agenda item

4

Handyman work schedule

John has discussed the work schedule with David and Ivor. The schedule has been agreed at this committee. JGR
Proposed that David Hewitt should now be given a contract. Agreed by this committee.
Also proposed that the hourly rate for David and Ivor should be the same, agreed by this committee.
Proposed to take on another handyman on a temporary contract for 8 hours work. Agreed by this committee. LW
These items to go to the Finance and General Purposes committee. Agenda Items
It was suggested by Phil Cook that the Co Op could be approached to see if they could offer to help in certain village projects/activities.

5

Grass cutting and Hedge cutting

Quotes for grass cutting and hedge cutting of LD Field Heath, Poors land and Allotments are being sought. CBC needs to be contacted to book a sweeper to clear footways following hedge cutting. JGR & MH & LW
The budget is for £750. All this work is necessary.
This needs to go to the Finance and General purposes committee. Agenda item

6

Litter by Practice goal area.

This continues to be a problem.
It was proposed to purchase a wheelie bin to place in the area to encourage clearing of litter. This bin could also be used for other litter picking by handyman. JC
The goal post has been damaged and will need repairing. JGR

5

Pond Clearing

The Colchester Volunteers have assessed the needs and will spend 2 days clearing part of Hall Road Pond, 1 day clearing edges and trimming back trees at Queens Road pond and during that time spend 2 hours cutting back shrubbery at Lexden Road pond. The total charge for this will be £600. We will need to organise and pay for all the trimmings to be removed. This usually costs £100 for each load to be removed. This will need to be organised. JC

6

Allotments

Harry reported from the Allotment Committee. They are considering ways to charge more fairly for the rents. HS

7

Playground equipment

The play area has been assessed for meeting Health and Safety requirements and the resulting areas that need repairs will be carried out by Ivor and David. Ivor will add a third cradle swing when parts are delivered. JGR

8

Budget for next year

John had sent out proposed budgets which were agreed by this committee in general, but some elements still need clarity. Comments to be fed back by the end of October ready for the figures to be sent to the Finance and General Purposes Committee for consideration in November. JGR

Date of next meeting – Thursday 12th November 2015 at 5pm in JL Hall.

 

Environment & Highways – 10th September 2015

The Environment & Highways  Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 10th September 2015 when they discussed a range of issues including handymen, traffic safety, playgrounds, grass & hedge cutting, litter, ponds & budget.

Environment & Highways Report

Sub-committee Meeting held on Thursday 10th September 2015 in Orpen Hall

Councillors present John Gili Ross, Harry Stone, Jenny Church, Phil Walby, Murray Harlow, Rosemary James
Apologies

In attendance:- Laura Walkingshaw, Parish Clerk; David Hewitt, Village handyman.

1.

Welcome

John welcomed all to the meeting and introduced David to those who haven’t yet met him.

2.

Matters arising from last meeting

a) Traffic Safety Plan – New Church road will need resurfacing prior to yellow lines being reinstated. Poor parking has been less of a problem recently but it will be important for members to monitor this. 20mph signs will be needed in New Church Road and School Road. Harry and Chris Stevenson will meet with school head teacher to discuss parking problems for parents. HS
b) Plaque for beacon – needs measuring and ordering. Plinth for beacon to be built by Ivor. Expense approved. JGR
c) St Mary’s Church – it is agreed that David will sort out the French drain. The cost of labour will be a donation to the church from the PC. The church will supply the materials. David will carry out the work next week. DH
d) Cleaning “no dog signs” at Orpen Hall to be carried out by David. DH

3.

Handyman work schedule

John has discussed the work schedule with David and Ivor. JGR

4.

Grass cutting and Hedge cutting

a) Cutting of the Lorkin Daniell field will be discussed at next Finance meeting. Phil and Football club to be represented. PW
b) LD hedge project will be carried out by handyman. JGR
c) Hedges on Heath and Poors Land will need cutting during half-term. Laura will find out who we used last year and liaise with Murray regarding sweeper. LW & MH

5.

Litter by Practice goal area.

This continues to be a problem. After much discussion it was agreed to purchase a rubbish bin to be placed nearby to encourage litter clearing. Jenny to investigate ordering a bin. JC

6.

Pond Clearing

Need to arrange with Colchester Volunteers to carry out clearing of all three ponds in the Autumn. Jenny to arrange JC

7.

Playground equipment

Repairs have been made by Ivor to bring the Safety measure up to scratch following the last Health and Safety assessment. Next inspection due currently. The “baby” swings have a space for a third swing to be installed in the middle proposed to order one and arrange for Ivor to install JGR

8.

Budget for next year

Needs consideration. Laura will send out budget statements for information LW

Date of next meeting – Thursday 8th October 2015 at 4.45pm in JL Hall.