Return of the Fete

The Village Fete returns on Saturday 24th July

Barney Beagle looks forward to seeing you there!

Last year we had to cancel the Annual Fete due to COVID-19, but this year we cautiously open back up again after lockdowns. Taking place on Saturday 24th July between 12 – 4 pm, the Fete will be held entirely outdoors and scaled down, but we hope it will still bring joy and allow us to celebrate being together again!

Continue reading “Return of the Fete”

Lockdown 3 – Week 1 Update – COVID-19 & Roadworks

National Lockdown Guidelines

National Lockdown GuidelinesCOVID-19 & Roadworks

A number of COVID-centric updates as well as two lots of Roadworks:

Latest Colchester Information Pack Launched

Hot on the heels of version 14 (which didn’t even get as far as this website), the National Lockdown has seen Colchester issue version 15 which includes the following topics: Continue reading “Lockdown 3 – Week 1 Update – COVID-19 & Roadworks”

Day 36 of Lockdown – the Social Dis Dancing edition

Social Dis Dancing

Social Dis DancingDay 36 of Lockdown

Zoom seems to be taking over our lives and day 36 reveals another unique way of using it.  Enter Social Dis Dancing.   We also have updates from:

The Dance Network Association

The Dance Network Association hopes to reach out to many dancers of all ages Continue reading “Day 36 of Lockdown – the Social Dis Dancing edition”

Dancing With Parkinson’s – Creative Movment

Dancing with Parkinson'sDancing With Parkinson’s

If you are living with Parkinson’s either yourself or a good friend or partner, the Dance Network Association are offering a number of Dance sessions between now & Christmas.

Research from Parkinson’s UK estimates that there are around 145,000 people in the UK living with Parkinson’s. By 2025, this is expected to rise to around 168,000. 1 in 37 people alive today will be diagnosed with the disease in their lifetime.  Exercise has shown to be very beneficial for people living with Parkinson’s; Continue reading “Dancing With Parkinson’s – Creative Movment”

Premises & Recreation – 1st February 2016

The Premises & Recreation Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 1st February when, among other items, they discussed Orpen Hall, Health & Safety, budget, storage, football clubs, licences and toilets.

Premises & Recreation Minutes

Sub-committee meeting held on Monday 1st February 2016 in the John Lampon Hall

Councillors present Brian Butcher (Chair), Murray Harlow (Vice chair), Jenny Church, Rosemary James, Bob Tyrrell.
Apologies Harry Stone

Also in attendance Victoria Beckwith-Cole (Hall Administrator)

2.

Matters from Last Meeting

2.1 Orpen Hall Signage
Work in progress, will update at next meeting. BT
2.2 Health and Safety Questionnaire
This has now been completed with the exception of obtaining a copy of the Asbestos Report – Parish Clerk to look further and to contact previous Parish Clerk to where the Report maybe located. LW
BB/VBC will organise unannounced fire drills throughout the year. BB/VBC
BB asked about fire extinguisher training – VBC confirmed that she has undertaken this in another employment. As Bluebells are the main users of the Hall – VBC to ask if their staff know how to use extinguishers. VBC
At this point reference was made to the chair clips (Panto Orpen Players) – that they were not functioning properly – VBC pointed out the correct positioning of the clips and confirmed that she will meet with the Orpen Players Friday night to show the Front of House the correct way positioning them.  We discussed the Orpen Players smoking, “instructing” Zoe etc, and agreed we would meet them to discuss. VBC

3.

Clerks & Administrator’s Report

3.1 Bar Licence and Dance/Music Licence – LW has sent off PPL and PRS paperwork.  Bar Licence: LW to check with Social Club. LW
3.2 Additional Bin Hire – This will only need to be considered when the CSH implement their “weighing payment” method. However, currently it will work out cheaper to have a 360l wheelie bin for glass and cans. LW
3.3 JL Hall Toilet/Boiler – VBC updated that the plumber had to come out and deal with a leak in one of the toilets (replacement ball valve) and a leak on the boiler.
3.4 Job Role of Hall Admin – H&S – VBC reported that all points are covered within her role at present apart from “ensuring a fire risk assessment is maintained”. VBC to implement this. VBC
3.5 Draft T&C for one-off hirers – in progress will update at next meeting. VBC
3.6 West Bergholt Website – has been updated with up to date information especially with making contact details more prominent – will be checked periodically.

4.

Cleaning

No further comments – this item can now be taken off the Agenda.

5.

West Bergholt Football Club – grass cutting Lorkin Daniell Field

Signed off – this item can now be taken off the Agenda

6.

Bergholt Heath Youth Football Club – Saturday morning training proposal

Prior to meeting CS sent the Committee correspondence regarding this.  The Committee were to talk through the “Action Points” – As the first point was of utmost importance, this was discussed and agreed in principal that BHYFC could use the Orpen Hall disabled toilet – this was on the proviso that they agreed and signed the T&C which VBC will draft and send to BB for approval. VBC
The other action points will be followed up as and when necessary. ALL

7.

Refurbishment of Orpen Hall Toilets

A discussion ensued about the layout whether to draw up as per plans or to refurbish what we have. It was agreed to go with existing plans but with option that “cosmetic changes” be made once tendered. Bluebells would like to have at least one lower basin for handwashing but its need was not agreed. BB has been in dialogue with three designers and is nearing obtaining quotes for this work. BB

8.

Storage Units

Measurements of the storage units have been done and concluded that there is not enough storage.  Various options to increase storage in the future were proposed, when funding is available. One being building another garage onto the existing two garages towards the football club.  Two, where the CSH bin is located to have a unit to house the rubbish, salt, equipment needed for the handyman, etc.  MH suggested racking out the current garages to optimise the space would help.  MH to speak with the Orpen Players, BYG and Bluebells who currently rent them and come up with drawings and costings for next meeting for the Committee to consider. MH

9.

Terms of Reference

BB forwarded to CS – this item can now be taken of the Agenda.

10.

Budget for next year

2016/2017 fees were approved at the Parish Council meeting. VBC to advise regular hirers of increases. VBC

11.

AOB

BB listed out various light bulbs not working and VBC will get these replaced VBC

12.

Date of next meeting

7th March 2016 – 7.30pm John Lampon Hall

(Brian Butcher offered apologies in advance)