Environment & Highways – 10th September 2020

Environment Report 9th July 2020

Environment & Highways – 10th September 2020

The Environment & Highways Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met via Zoom on 10th September 2020 and discussed:

  • Village Ponds,
  • Playground access,
  • Strategic environmental planning,
  • School buses in Lexden Road,
  • New hedging by the village sign,
  • Lorkin Daniell Field: trees & hedging, and
  • Other works and activities.

Environment & Highways Report

Committee Meeting held on Thursday 10th September 2020 via Zoom

Committee members present John Gili-Ross, Phil Spencer, Harry Stone, David Short, Norma Smith, Jenny Church
Apologies None

 

1.

Handyman Report

  Essex devolved activity continues – report sent to Essex Highways.

David is concerned about the road sign re weight limit on Newbridge Hill is missing. David to talk to Chris and check.

 DS

2.

Village Ponds

  Lexden Road pond has been dredged. Awaiting rain to refill pond. A fairly large hole in pond on far side of island – Handymen need to be aware.

The silver birch on the island needs staking.

Propose to remove some surrounding trees and replace with hedging.   This proposal has been addressed with the Neighbours most affected.

Hall Road pond – front edge has been strimmed and posts repainted.

PS
  Suggest contact TCV re clearing weeds from pond. Jenny will contact TCV. JC

3.

Playground Access Path

  Quotes have been received – some with tarmac some with granite. Need to discuss funding with Finance Officer re grants. Aim to have a path suitable for wheelchair use and prams. David will look at other paths (granite and tarmac) and see which would be appropriate. DS

4.

Hedging on LD field.

  Height of hedge discussed. Decision taken that the height should be the same all along the hedge in line with previous years practice. Phil will agree the work to be carried out with flailing contractor.

Some replanting of hedging in places to fill out hedge.

Letter to be sent to neighbouring residents who queried height.

PS

5.

Tree work needed on LD field behind Mumford Close.

  The owners of a property on Mumford Close have asked the PC to pollard trees that are restricting light into their garden.  PS to discuss with the owners.

Owners on NCR have asked for access to their gardens to pollard trees in their garden.  This work will take place on 21 September.

Reports of excessive noise when the practice goalposts are being used. The mesh at the rear of the goals has been checked and is sound.

Phil to check if the goal posts are loose.

PS

6.

School Buses parking in Lexden Road opposite Hall Road.

  This is an ongoing problem now the children are back at school.

7.

Autumn Flailing

  Phil will organise flailing that is needed next month. PS

8.

Hedging by Village sign.

  This has been watered throughout the summer. Some tree branches are overhanging the hedging. Phil to investigate. Also, to organise a water container for use by handymen. PS
  A “Strategic Environmental Plan” to propose future actions for wildlife areas to be produced by Phil. PS

Date of next meeting Thursday 8th October at 5pm