Environment & Highways – 10th October 2018

Environment & Highways – 10th October 2018

The Environment & Highways Sub-Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 10th October and discussed playgrounds and gym, village ponds, street signs & furniture, the Heath, Allotments, school buses & bus stops.

Environment & Highways Report

Committee Meeting held on Wednesday 10th October 2018 in John Lampon Hall

Committee members present: John Gili Ross, Philip Spencer, Harry Stone, Murray Harlow, David Short, Janet Crichton, Jenny Church.
Apologies: None

 

1

Playground Area

  Harry reported back from the Playground Advisory Group. Many suggestions were discussed. They propose to have a survey on the Hub to get more ideas and find out what the needs are. Funding will be needed and various proposals were made. Need to look at plans and possible sites. The new spinner has arrived and will be put in place when a digger is available. The old wooden climbing frame would be removed at the same time.  
  David reported back after researching Outdoor Gym Equipment. He had information about “Sunshine Gym” with the cheapest quote for 8 items of equipment. David will put together a business plan. A plan of the use of the field is needed before any decisions are made. DS

2

Village ponds.

  Queen’s Road Pond: The pond has been dredged and some of the brushwood was cleared. It took 70+ trips and 350 tons of spoil were removed. Many fish were discovered and they have been taken to good homes.  
  Lexden Road pond: The willows on the island in the pond will need removing. The silver birch will remain and will need encouragement to grow. DS & PS

3

Cleaning street furniture.

  This will be done by a cleaning contractor.  

4

30 mph signs in Bures Road

  These have been cleaned and straightened and can now be seen.  

5

VAS in Lexden Road.

  David has tested this and it works. John will look at it to set the speed rates. JGR

6

Trees on LD field

  The overhanging branches have been dealt with.  

7

Bollards on Heath.

  Some of these are rotting. They will need replacing. They are apparently quite expensive. Phil will make enquiries. PS

8

Replacement of bus shelter on Lexden Road.

  The manufacturers have been instructed to go ahead with installing the new shelter.  

9

Handymen report.

  Nigel has completed all the courses required for carrying out weed-killer and herbicide treatment. A lockable container will be needed for chemicals. An old freezer would be acceptable. Phil will look into this. PS

10

Allotment report

  Harry reported that the rents are coming in. They will need to discuss rents for next year. There are very few vacant plots. They are planning a Christmas “do” for plot holders.  

11

Proposed new bus stop at Maltings.

  John will take this up with the Local Highways Panel.  

12

School buses.

  There are still 3 school buses parking in Lexden Road opposite Hall Road.

This creates a bad traffic hazard. Ask Laura the current position with this problem.

Laura

13

Brick Surround by bin store at Orpen Hall.

  Premises Committee have suggested that this should be removed.

Propose that the bin store needs treating.

 

14

Cutting Hedging round fields.

  Murray will contact John Glover. Hedges near the play area on LD field should be kept at the regular height all the way along this stretch.

Murray to talk to Laura about the previous complaint from a resident.

Hedge on Poor’s Land by Treble Tile to be kept high all the way along

 

15

Ecological Survey of Heath.

  Phil presented the Ecological Survey of the Heath that was carried out in July. The area is apparently – Lowland dry acid grassland.  

Date of next meeting – Thursday 8th November at 5.30pm in the Orpen Hall