Large garden, small window box, devoted gardener or just a passing interest? Why not join your local gardening club?
West Bergholt Gardeners offers something for every taste with our diverse yearly programme. Meetings are held at 7.30pm in the Orpen Hall on a Monday during the months of February to May, and September to December.
Message to Members – March 2020
You may be expecting this but I have to inform you that your Committee have had to take the decision to cancel the April and May meetings due to the current ongoing Covid-19 pandemic situation.
This means that we have concluded our 2019/20 meetings albeit earlier than we planned and reduces the opportunity for us to talk about our currently proposed coach trips during the summer, especially the first one to Wisley on 3rd June. At this point in time I have not cancelled that trip but am in touch with Kings Coaches. I told those present last evening that I will hold all cheques until as and when I know if the trip is viable so if you wish to book a place then please contact me on 240588.
The Committee have also had to take the sad decision to cancel Open Gardens scheduled for Sunday 28th June but we look forward to running it next year.
With regard to our Stall at the Village Fete in July and my ‘threat’ of coming round with a clipboard asking for help (!!) we obviously await hearing further from the Parish Council in due course.
For the moment then, I think that’s all I can really tell you but I will be in touch to keep you up to date. Meanwhile, a reminder that our first meeting of the 2020/21 season will be on Monday 21st September; Andrew Sankey will be back to talk to us on the Royal Botanical Gardens of Kew. We all really enjoyed the evening last year when Andrew came and talked about his 6 favourite gardens, so hope the one on Kew will be just as good.
Keep well, everyone!
On behalf of your WBGA Committee
Dates for 2020/21 are:
- 17 February – “An Introduction to Cacti and Succulents” – Craig Thompson.
- 16 March – “What do I do with this Space” – Darren Lerigo.
- 20 April – “Vegetable Self-sufficiency for all Seasons” – Maike Windhorst. CANCELLED
- 18 May – “Current Trends in Garden Design” Steven Digby. CANCELLED
- 28th June – Open Gardens. CANCELLED
- TBA – Virtual ‘Open Gardens’ event
- 21st September – Potential AGM, display of Open Gardens images and “Royal Botanical Gardens of Kew” from Andrew Sankey COVID-19 permitting.
We are a very friendly group of people and new members are always welcome. Why not come as a guest for one meeting to find out more; have a chat, enjoy some refreshments and maybe win a raffle prize 1 ticket 50p or 5 for £2. Joining us is simple and inexpensive with an annual subscription of £15 due in September. Non-Members welcome – only £3.50 per visit on Speaker nights.
For further information, please contact the Club Secretary on 01206 240588 – [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”].
We look forward to seeing you.
Please support your local clubs.
The following news items mention or reference West Bergholt Gardeners, to read the whole article please click on the heading…
- West Bergholt (Not) Open Gardens 2020 - West Bergholt (Not) Open Gardens 2020 This is a more complete update of an earlier Open Gardens post with new material from the allotments; thanks to Peter Noakes for putting these collages together. The West Bergholt Open Gardens has been… …
- Day 102 of (floral) Lockdown – the ‘Open Gardens’ edition - Day 102 of (floral) Lockdown On Day 102 of lockdown we have two floral stories, Open Gardens 2020 and a giant Echium. In other news, two shorts: Following the recent announcement by the Prime Minster, the lockdown restrictions will be… …
- Day 100 of (flexible) Lockdown – the ‘Ton-up’ edition - Day 100 of (flexible) Lockdown On Day 100 of lockdown Colchester Borough Council looks at launching a Garden Club. Meanwhile not to be outdone, Essex are launching: Children's Art Week, a COVID-19 Recovery Transport Plan, Plastic Free July, ... and… …
- Day 77 of (where is) Lockdown – the Gardeners edition - Day 77 of (where is?) Lockdown On day 77 we start off with items of interest to gardeners and then quite a few more news items: National Garden Scheme reopens, Stay at Home, Grown your own scheme – get a… …
- Day 58 of (is it?) Lockdown – the Life in Lockdown edition - Day 58 of (is it?) Lockdown On day 58 we get the chance to finish what we started on day 57; the Essex Life in Lockdown article inviting you to share your lockdown story. After that: Consultation on Police Priorities,… …
- Gardeners’ Summer Visits - Gardeners' Summer Visits The Gardeners' summer visits this year started after their 2018/19 programme of talks came to a conclusion. They were particularly happy that the weather remained on their side. Shrubs Farm In June, a group went on a… …
- Trees for Years 2019 - Trees for Years 2019 Colchester Borough Council is giving residents and groups who’d like to green-up their gardens a helping hand, with its annual ‘Trees for Years’ giveaway on Saturday, 2 February. Turn up at Rowan House, 33 Sheepen Road… …
- Wild Flowers of Essex - Wild Flowers of Essex West Bergholt Gardeners recently enjoyed an interesting talk by Dr. Chris Gibson about "Wild Flowers of Essex". Chris drew on his 30+ year career as a nature conservationist, working to preserve Essex wildlife and landscapes. The Gardeners learnt… …
- Food For Thought - Food For Thought West Bergholt Gardeners certainly got food for thought at their recent meeting on 15th October. Stuart Gough from The Oak Tree Low Carbon Farm described the green ethos of the group. The Oak Tree group aims to lessen their… …
- Farm, Food & People - Farm, Food & People "Farm, Food & People" is Stuart Gough's topic at the next Gardeners' Association meeting on 15th October. Stuart is from The Oak Tree Low Carbon Farm which is a Community Supported Agricultural (CSA) Scheme. CSAs bring farms and local… …
To view all Garden-related news posts click the link – https://westbergholt.org/tag/gardeners/.