The Allotments of the village are maintaining their popularity; however, the Allotment Committee (as of October 2020) had two vacant plots with eight on the waiting list.
Those living within the Parish Boundary will have priority when vacant plots are allocated; however, those in surrounding locations can still apply.
The Parish Council entrusts the management of the Allotment Site to The West Bergholt Allotment Holders Site Committee (see below); they meet about three times a year. Volunteers make up the committee and provide an interface between plot holders and the Parish Council; they help maintain the standards and rules applied by the Parish Council and interests of plot holders.
If you are interested in taking on an allotment then please do please contact the Allotment Association Committee. Details are on the notice board at the allotment site, as are the names of those currently waiting for a plot. Or, you can just apply either by email to [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”], or phone 01206 241256, with the following details:
- date of birth,
- full address,
- phone number &
- email address
Minutes & Notices
- Minutes of the 14th Jan 2021 WBAA committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 12th Nov 2020 WBAA committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 15th Oct 2020 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 16th Jul 2020 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 16th Jan 2020 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 17th Oct 2019 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 25th Jul 2019 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 11th Apr 2019 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 17th Jan 2019 WBAH committee meeting.
- No Vehicular Access November to March;
- Allotment Guidelines – helpful hints;
- Sowing dates – a typical calendar;
- Seasonal Tips – Allotment Vegetable Growing website (external link – WBPC makes no warranty in respect of this link which has been added in good faith having been found to be in good order when added).
To read the whole article please click on the heading…
- Environment & Highways – 11th February 2021 - Environment & Highways Meeting Held on 14th January 2021 The Environment & Highways Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 11th February 2021 and discussed: Snow clearing, Update on ponds, Village Signs. Playground access path, The Heath, Hedging at… …
- West Bergholt (Not) Open Gardens 2020 - West Bergholt (Not) Open Gardens 2020 This is a more complete update of an earlier Open Gardens post with new material from the allotments; thanks to Peter Noakes for putting these collages together. The West Bergholt Open Gardens has been… …
- Day 102 of (floral) Lockdown – the ‘Open Gardens’ edition - Day 102 of (floral) Lockdown On Day 102 of lockdown we have two floral stories, Open Gardens 2020 and a giant Echium. In other news, two shorts: Following the recent announcement by the Prime Minster, the lockdown restrictions will be… …
- Day 91 of (flagging) Lockdown – the Windrush edition - Day 91 of (flagging) Lockdown Day 91 lockdown coincides with Windrush Day commemorating the Windrush generation and their legacy. You can find out more about this on Wikipedia and I 'tip a hat to it' at the end of the… …
- Day 77 of (where is) Lockdown – the Gardeners edition - Day 77 of (where is?) Lockdown On day 77 we start off with items of interest to gardeners and then quite a few more news items: National Garden Scheme reopens, Stay at Home, Grown your own scheme – get a… …
- Day 64 of (un?) Lockdown – the Spare Plants edition - Day 64 of (un?) Lockdown Day 64 seems to be full of controversy but not much news. Here is what little we have, news relating to the allotments first and then a couple of health-related items from ECC. As ever,… …
- Day 63 of (un?) Lockdown – the Old Church edition - Day 63 of (un?) Lockdown The main news item for day 63 is an update on the Old Church renovations followed by a few updates from our government, and some fun at the end. But first, we have a tall… …
- Day 58 of (is it?) Lockdown – the Life in Lockdown edition - Day 58 of (is it?) Lockdown On day 58 we get the chance to finish what we started on day 57; the Essex Life in Lockdown article inviting you to share your lockdown story. After that: Consultation on Police Priorities,… …
- Day 10 of Lockdown – The Police Edition - Day 10 of Lockdown Our day 10 report starts with an update on NEEB's appeal. After that, we put together two reports found online yesterday. Essex Police had noted there had been an uptick in cars on roads and Essex… …
- Day 2 of Lockdown – Recycling Edition - Day 2 of Lockdown So Day 2 of the COVID-19 lockdown and hopefully everybody is getting into the swing of things. It helps that the skies are blue especially if you are able to get outside for your daily exercise. … …
To view all Allotment Notices & News please visit the news feed tagged allotments as follows:- https://westbergholt.org/topic/clubs/allotments/.
Trustees of the Allotments
West Bergholt Parish Council is the sole trustee of the New Allotments Trust.
All Parish Councillors are automatically members of the New Allotments Trust. The Trust Secretary is Laura Walkinshaw (Parish Clerk), 80 Chapel Rd, W Bergholt, CO6 3HL, 01206 240772.
Allotment Holders’ Site Committee
|Chairperson||Terry Claydon||01206 241256|
|[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|01206 242540||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|Committee Members||Harry Stone|
|01206 241026||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|Mervyn Donnelly||01206 241656||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|Graham Welham||01206 241632||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|Paul Walker||07943 908709||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|Lynda Robinson||01206 241429||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
|Stuart Meadows||01206 240412||[antibot mailto=”[email protected]”]|
(Any plot holder wishing to join the committee should contact the Chairperson).
Allotment Dates for Oct 2019 – Sep 2020
First Tuesday in the month between Oct 2019 and Sep 2020:
- 1st Oct,
- 5th Nov,
- 7th Apr,
- 5th May,
- 2nd Jun,
- 7th Jul,
- 4th Aug, and
- 1st Sep.
All 18:00 – 20:00 except Nov 16:00 – 18:00.
All Plot Holders Welcome. These will take place on Sunday 19th April and Sunday 26th July and start at 10.00.
Site Plot Inspections:
During April, August and December 2020.
Starting at 19:30 on:
- 17th October,
- 16th January 2020,
- 9th April, and
- 16th July.
The following rules have been issued by West Bergholt Parish Council with effect from 1st July 2015.
- Chapel Road allotments are available for the purposes of cultivation only.
- Allotment tenancies to be held from the 1st October to 30th September annually. Rent invoices will be distributed early in September. Rents for this year only will be for 18 months from Apr 2017 to Sep 2018. Payments can be made by cheque or cash with payment slips which should be returned to Clerk of Parish Council – Mrs Laura Walkingshaw, 80 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester, CO6 3HL (Cheques made payable to West Bergholt Parish Council with name and plot no(s) on the back).
Alternatively you can pay by BACS directly into the village account using the details below and adding the reference “Allotments” together with your plot no(s): “West Bergholt Parish Council”. Barclays Bank A/C 90949280 Sort Code 20-22-67.
- The Parish Council will, at its meeting in October, take proceedings to recover unpaid rents or to reallocate unpaid plots.
- No allotment holder may sub-let his or her holding or any part thereof without the written consent of the Clerk to the Parish Council, but those tenants who find difficulty in managing a plot, yet wish to continue a tenancy, are encouraged to find a friend with whom to share.
- Allotment holders wishing to give up a plot can give notice to the Clerk to the Parish Council at any time and not later than 30th September, failing which they will be responsible for the succeeding year’s rent.
- Any vacant plot will be allocated according to the waiting list held by the Allotment Management Committee.
- If, in the opinion of the Council, any piece of allotment has been badly cultivated, or less than ¾ is cultivated, the holder shall, after being warned by the Council, forfeit the same at the end of a period of notice of 1 month.
- Any plot holder terminating a tenancy or having a tenancy withdrawn will be allowed a 14 day period to clear their plot. This may be extended by the Parish Clerk in exceptional circumstances otherwise the allotment committee will become responsible for all remaining items on a plot and dispose of them appropriately.
- From the 1st Apr 2017 the Plots have been calculated in square metres. Rents will apply depending on 1 of 4 bands which plot falls into. Band A <=80 sqm £10 (£10), Band B 85-105 sqm £16 (£11), Band C 106-130 sqm £19 (£13) and Band D >= 131 sqm £20 (£14) – Note Concessions in Brackets.
- Allotment holders must keep footpaths and tracks adjacent to their plots clean, tidy and reasonably free from weeds – no weed killer should be used on footpaths or tracks. Allotment waste must be composted or disposed of by the allotment holder and must not be placed on any vacant plot, footpath, track or any ditch.
- Allotment holders wishing to erect sheds on their plots must first seek the approval of the Parish Council by submitting in writing the design, size of the shed and proposed location on plot, which should not exceed 6′ x 4’. Sheds are only allowed on in bands B – D; for plots in band A a tool chest only can be erected but it is not to exceed 1 metre high, 1m wide and 2m long. Poly tunnels are to be treated as sheds and should not exceed 10’ X 6’. Greenhouses are not permitted.
- The use of hosepipes from the allotment taps is forbidden. No washing of equipment or veg/fruit should take place in water tanks. Also to ensure no cross contamination between chemicals (i.e. weed killer) and water in tanks. Water supply will be turned off from December 1st to March 31st.
- Fruit trees are to be kept to not more than 10 feet in height. They must be pruned regularly and not impede pathways or neighbouring plots.
- Communal bonfires may be held on the first Tuesday of each month between April and November, weather permitting. Only dry and combustible organic waste should be burnt. No waste should be brought to the site until the afternoon of the fire. The Parish Council is concerned about waste accumulating at the bonfire site and so failure to adhere to this ruling could result in the tenancy of a plot being withdrawn. See Allotment Notice board for actual times, dates and conditions. No other bonfires are permitted. A skip will be provided in mid-November for non-combustible waste.
- All Vehicles are not permitted on to the site whatsoever from the 1st November to the 31st March
During other times access is only for dropping off or picking up equipment/waste etc. and not for parking, unless special permission is given by Parish Clerk. This is to ensure the track is not damaged.
- The bringing of dogs onto the site is strongly discouraged but if it is necessary they must strictly be on a lead and tethered as necessary.
- The Parish Council, as Trustees, reserves the right to amend any of the bylaws.
By Order of the Parish Council
Clerk to the Parish Council